Friday, February 21, 2014

Olympic Excellence



I had been minimally interested in the Winter Olympics until two days ago when I started watching the Ice Dancing competition during a lunch break. I became enthralled with the male/female pairs, by their nearly flawless, coordinated spins and turns and lifts. I was so enthralled that I watched it again in the evening with Cathy.

As I watched, I wondered how they had trained in order to achieve such excellence. I found one figure skating website that gave a rough outline of what it takes to achieve those skills. Throughout childhood a skater would need

  ·         a minimum of 2-3, 1 hour ice sessions per weekday.

·         longer practice sessions on the weekends.

·         no less than 2-3 lessons each week with a coach.

·         regular, off-ice training in ballet and dance.

·         working out regularly with a conditioning coach.

What does it add up to? A total dedication of their lives to skating.

Is it wise for children to give such single-minded devotion to their athletic life? Our children have important skills to acquire—they must learn how to care for others, to connect with God, to manage money, to think critically, and more. Can these athletes develop those skills if they don’t participate in a broad mix of common childhood activities: household chores, church camp, mission trips, family gatherings, youth group, service projects, hanging out with friends? Though they may become outstanding athletes, will they become outstanding individuals? I’m sure some do, but is it the best way for children to grow up to be joyful, productive, fulfilled adults? Maybe not. (But I will still enjoy watching them compete!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment